Monday, December 21, 2009

Fitting the Pieces Together

Now that I have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and styles, my view on how I learn has been expanded. Initally, I had only been equipped with fragmented pieces of information on learning theory. My views on how I learn have become more vast, at the expense of becoming more knowledgeable on the topic. I have a great respect to those that have attempted to isolate and define how people learn. Each contributor has brought relevant insight and applicability, but these are only perspectives in this unquantifiable field.


I am still leaning towards cognitivism as my closest fit, but Multiple Intelligences, Social Learning, and Adult theories all have a role in my learning schema. I found Howard Gardner's philosphy on Multiple Intelligences (Armstrong, 2000) to be the most intriguing. I learned that there is much more researchable information available on the concept of someone being 'math smart,' with respect to MI Theory. More broadly, my understandings were enhanced and organized as a whole to concepts such as; stimulus-response conditioning to Behaviorism (Ertmer & Newby, 1993), or group work and learning by doing to Adult Learning Theory (Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K. 2003).



As I continue to figure out how each learning theory applies to me, the role of technology has evolved into an integral component of my daily life. So much information is available electronically, it has become my primary source of research. Research studies, books, newspapers, and more are all readily evailable due the internet. Accessibility has made leaps and bounds as well. Today I have access to information via my personal computer, my laptop, work computer, and cell phone. Mobile devices and cloud computing applications (The Horizon Report, 2009) are a few catalysts of todays cutting edge technology. Since starting the IDT program, I have been using Google Docs, Blogger, and the mind mapping tool Webspiration extensively. I can't wait to experience what's ahead in the near and far-away future.



Armstrong, T. (2000). Multiple intelligences in the classroom (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4),

Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K. (2003). Adult learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Adult_Learning

Johnson, L., Levine, A., & Smith, R. (2009). The Horizon Report (2009 ed.). Austin, TX: The New Media Consortium.http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/CSD5612.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment